Harper Ko serves as Deputy General Counsel – Gaming for Scientific Games. In this role, she is responsible for all legal matters related to Scientific Games’ worldwide Gaming operations, including management of its Gaming legal department, integration of the legacy Bally Technologies gaming business into Scientific Games’ multi-faced operations, support of related departments such as Human Resources, Facilities, and Regulatory Compliance, and providing strategic legal advice for the Company’s domestic and international gaming business.
Ko joined Scientific Games after working eight years at Bally Technologies, which was acquired by Scientific Games in November 2014. As Assistant General Counsel at Bally Technologies, Ko served as primary counsel in support of Bally’s gaming device business and industry-leading casino management systems business, in addition to playing a key role in the integration of the SHFL entertainment Inc. gaming business following Bally’s acquisition of SHFL entertainment in November 2013.
Prior to joining Bally in 2007, Ko served in various capacities with industry-leading gaming manufacturers, such as WMS Gaming Inc. and Aristocrat Technologies, Inc., as well as consulting with Caesars’ Entertainment, negotiating and drafting commercial transactional agreements and corporate purchase and distributor agreements related to purchase, lease, placement, and distribution of software, slot machines, slot-accounting systems, and a variety of other corporate legal duties.
She is the co-General Counsel of the Association of Gaming Equipment Manufacturers (AGEM) and a member of the State Bars of Nevada and Illinois. She received her Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law with a Certificate in International Law, and her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan.
Key Accomplishments, Charitable Work, and Organizations
• Negotiation and drafting of key commercial agreement OPAP, exclusive VLT operator in the new Greek VLT market.
• Primary corporate counsel managing material international arbitration claim filed in European chamber of arbitration, including leading negotiation and settlement of such claims.
• Negotiation and drafting of key commercial agreements with operators and vendors related to Bally Technologies’ entry into the Italian Comma 6b (VLT) market.
• Negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements with key Bally Technologies gaming device and systems customers, including the Seminole Tribe of Florida, Caesars Entertainment Operating Corporation, Inc., Las Vegas Sands Corporation, Sun International Management Limited, Grosvenor Casinos Limited, and Sky City Entertainment Group, Ltd.
• Co-General Counsel of the Association of Gaming Equipment Manufacturers (AGEM)
• Board of Directors, Project 150 Charitable Trust, in support of homeless Clark County high school students
• Member of the State Bar of Nevada (in-house counsel)
• Member of the State Bar of Illinois
• Member of the General Bar for United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois